Are you still hesitating whether mail order marriage is a good idea? Then learn some interesting facts and useful statistics that will help you to make a final decision!
From this article, you will find out:
- whether mail order marriages are still popular nowadays;
- how many mail order brides there are in the world;
- what nationalities of them are the most numerous;
- how successful mail order marriages are, and many other interesting facts and statistics.
How Many Mail Order Brides Are There in the World?
It is very difficult to figure out the exact number as it is growing constantly. But here are some interesting mail order bride statistics from the research by the Directorate-General for Internal Policies of the Union:
- In 2001, there were 120 thousand mail order brides from post-Soviet countries (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Moldova, Armenia). More than half of them (62 thousand) were from Russia. This figure has probably significantly increased in 20 years.
- Since 2011, about 20 thousand Filipino women per year marry foreign men.
Mail Order Marriage Statistics in the USA and the Whole World
A study by the Center of Immigration says that mail order marriages make up 10% of all marriages between American men and foreign women (4-5 thousand out of 40-50 thousand marriages per year).
So, every tenth US man marrying a foreign woman has found her with the help of mail order brides services. The other nine have met their wives from abroad while traveling, on business trips, or through mutual friends.
If you are not lucky to have foreign friends of the nationality you want your future spouse to be of and if you are not going to visit this country especially for dating, the specialized online platforms are the only way to find your destiny.
Talking about the whole world, not only the USA, according to the same investigation, there are 10 thousand mail order marriages annually.
What are the Reasons for Becoming Mail Order Brides?
After analyzing plenty of mail order brides success stories, we have figured out the most common reasons for women to decide to use the online platforms for finding foreign husbands:
- Believing that Western men are better than locals. Many women from Asia, South America, and post-Soviet countries consider American men as more serious and successful. This is proven by feedback from mail order wives who have successfully married Western husbands. One of them can be found in this research by Francis T. McAndrew from Knox College. A woman from Colombia honestly admits that she had not met as good men among locals as her American husband is. And a mail order bride agency was her only way to unite with a man who takes care of her and respects her. A survey by the Center of Immigration that has been already mentioned above also specifies the fact that Americans are believed to make better spouses than locals to be the main reason for women to register in the catalogs of mail order services.
- The poor economic situation in the birthplace. The research of the Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies specifies this as the main reason for Filipino women to become mail order brides.
Why Do Men Decide to Look for Mail Order Brides?
During the investigation of the Center of Immigration, men who have mail-ordered brides were asked for the reasons why they did this. The majority of them answered that they believe foreign women (from Asia and post-Soviet countries) to be more appropriate for marriage than American ladies. These girls are more focused on traditional values and more eager to become housewives and mothers while American women are obsessed with their careers and self-expression.
Husbands From What Countries are the Most Sought After?
The survey by the researchers from Knox College in Galesburg has shown that men from the following countries are the most popular among the brides looking for foreign husbands:
- the USA;
- Western-European countries (such as United Kingdom, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France, and others);
What is the Average Age of Mail Order Brides?
A typical girl looking for a foreign husband is between 21 and 29 years. This is explained by the cultural peculiarities of post-Soviet and Asian countries. A woman who has turned 30 is believed by locals to be an old maid. Therefore, the ladies who are interested in a successful marriage start to look for a husband in their twenties. This fact is proved by numerous researches. For example, the Center of Immigration’s research has shown that 65% of mail order brides are 21-29 years old, 20% of them are younger and only 15% are older.
Mail Order Brides of What Nationalities Are the Most Numerous?
According to a study of Knox College, the majority of mail order brides that marry American men come from;
- the Philippines;
Women from these countries are eager to marry Western men as they believe them to be better than locals: more serious, faithful, interesting, and appropriate for starting a family with. Additionally, they believe a successful marriage with a foreigner to be one of the ways for a better life and a great chance to move abroad.
And many of these ladies really do find husbands from abroad as foreign men appreciate them because of being family-oriented, good at housekeeping, and kids upbringing.
How Many Mail Order Marriages End in Divorce?
Do mail order marriages work? It is possible to answer this question precisely taking into account the surest indicator, mail order bride divorce rate. The investigation by the researchers from the State University of New York says that it is only 20%. So, 8 out of 10 families founded due to specialized online platforms for finding foreign spouses are happy. And you have every chance to be among these lucky ones!